I graduated from the Karolinska Institute in Stockholm in 1979 with a basic medical degree - MD and a research degree-PhD. Following a "post doc" year in Montreal I returned to the Karolinska Institute to become an Assistant Professor. After completing surgical training in Stockholm and Paris, I specialised in Nerve and Plexus surgery, I was made an Associate Professor of Surgery in 1988 and then Head of the Division of Neuro-Orthopaedics at the Karolinska Hospital. I founded a Swedish National Centre for complicated nerve injuries.
I was recruited as a Consultant Orthopaedic Nerve Surgeon to the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital, Stanmore in London 1996. I was awarded a visiting Professorship at Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine in 2002 and 2003 a Professorship in Nerve Surgery from University College London. In 2006 I became a Professor of Hand Surgery at the Karolinska Institute.
I have 20 years of experience as a consultant. I am a leading and internationally renowned surgeon and basic scientist that has pioneered and developed surgical treatments of complicated nerve disorders such as brachial and lumbosacral plexus . I treat severe,complicated nerve lesions and conditions.
My main activities include nerve and plexus trauma, tumours as well as entrapment disorders of nerves. I also do hand surgery.
I direct a National Centre for the surgical treatment of complicated nerve injuries including nerve plexus and associated spinal cord injuries.
I have devoted the last 30 years to basic and clinical researches to solve and develop successful methods to repair spinal cord injuries associated with nerve plexus trauma.
I have produced 12 Chapters in books, 15 Review articles and 90 peer review articles in international highly rated clinical and basic science journals. I have written one book on a surgical technique that restores function after a type of spinal cord injury. I am a reviewer for several international scientific journals.
1.T.Carlstedt. Central Nerve Plexus Injury. Imperial College Press.2007.
2.M.Adams,T.Carlstedt,J.Cavanagh, R.N.Lemon, R. McKernan,J.V. Priestley, G.Raisman and J Verhaagen. (2007)International spinal research trust research strategy.III: A discussion document. Spinal Cord.1-13.
3.M. Htut,VP Misra, P Anand, R Birch,T Carlstedt (2007). Motor recovery and the breathing arm after brachial plexus surgical repairs including re-implantation of avulsed spinal roots into the spinal cord. Journal of Hand Surgery, 32E,170-178.
4.Y. Li, M. Yamamoto, G. Raisman, D. Choi, T. Carlstedt (2007). An experimental model of ventral root repair showing the beneficial effect of transplanting olfactory ensheathing cells. Neurosurgery, 60, 734-741.
5.Hendriks WTJ, Eggers R, Carlstedt T, Zaldumbide A, Tannemaat MR, Fallaux FJ, Hoeben RC, Boer GJ, Verhaagen J.(2007) Lentiviral vector-mediated reporter gene expression in avulsed spinal ventral root is short-term, but can be prolonged by using immune "stealth" genes. Restorative Neurology and Neuroscience. 25,585-599.
6.M.Adams,T.Carlstedt,J.Cavanagh, R.N.Lemon, R. McKernan,J.V. Priestley, G.Raisman and J Verhaagen. (2007)International spinal research trust research strategy.III: A discussion document. Spinal Cord.1-13
7.T.Carlstedt. (2008).Root repair review. Basic science background and clinical outcome. Restorative Neurology and Neuroscience 26;225-241
8.Mannan K, Altaf F, Maniar S, Tirabosco R, Sinisi M, Carlstedt T.(2008). Cyclical sciatica:endometriosis of the sciatic nerve. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery 90(1) 98-101 9. DJ Chew, VHL Leinster, M Sakthithasan, LG Robson, T Carlstedt, PJ Shortland (2008). Cell death after dorsal root injury. Neuroscience Letters. 433, 231–234.
10. R Eggers, W T.J. Hendriks, M R. Tannemaat1, J J. van Heerikhuize, C W. Pool, T P. Carlstedt, A Zaldumbide, R C.Hoeben, G J. Boer, J Verhaagen. (2008). Neuroregenerative effects of reimplantation of genetically modified roots in a rat model for ventral spinal nerve avulsion. Molecular and Cellular Neuroscience. 39:105-117.
11. Sivaraman, A.; Altaf, Farhaan; Carlstedt, Thomas; Noordeen, Hilali.(2008)Intradural Repair of Lumbar Nerve Roots for Traumatic Paraparesis Leading to Functional Recovery Journal of Spinal Disorders & Techniques. 21(8):553-556, December 2008.
12.Carlstedt T (2009)Nerve Root Replantation. In Neurosurgical Clinics of North America. Ed. Spinner R.J, Winfree C.J. 20:39-50.
13.T. Carlstedt,T Hultgren,T. Nyman, T Hansson(2009). Cortical activity and hand function restoration in a patient after spinal cord surgery. Nature Review Neurology 5,Oct, 571-574.
14. LA Havtorn,T Carlstedt (2009). Repair and rehabilitation of plexus and root avulsions in animal models and patients. Current Opinion in Neurology, 22(6):570-574.
15.Carlstedt T (2009).Nerve Root Replantation. In Neurosurgical Clinics of North America. Ed. Spinner R.J, Winfree C.J. 20:39-50.
16. T Carlstedt(2010). Perspectives on the treatment of the longitudinal spinal cord injury. Frontiers in neurotrauma. 1,article 11,1-4..
17 S.J. Camp, T.Carlstedt, A. TH. Casey (2010).Techincal note: Pure lateral approach to intraspinal re-implantation of the brachial plexus. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. 92-B,7,975-979.
18. Kachramanoglou C, Li D, Andrews P, East C, Carlstedt T, Raisman G, Choi D (2010). Novel strategies in brachial plexus repair after traumatic avulsion. Br.J Neurosurg. 25,16-27.
19. Remahl S, Angeria M,Nilsson Remahl I,Carlstedt T,Risling M.(2010) Observation at the PNS-CNS border of ventral roots connected to a neuroma. Frontiers in Neurotrauma 1,article 136,
20.Sköld M, Svensson M, Tsao J, Hultgren T, Landegren T, Carlstedt T, Cullheim S (2011). Karolinska Institutet 200 year anniversary.-Symposium on traumatic injuries in the nervous system. Injuries to the spinal cord and peripheral nervous system-Injuries and repair, pain problems, lesions to brachial plexus. Frontiers in Neurotrauma. 2,29,1-5.
21. Risling M, Ochsmann T, Carlstedt T, Lindå H, Plantman S,Rostami E, Angeria M, Sköld M (2011). On acute gene expression after ventral root Replantation. Frontiers in Neurotrauma. 1,159,1-7
22..Raisman G, Carlstedt T, Choi,D, Li Y (2011). Clinical prospects for transplantation of OECs in the repair of brachial and lumbo-sacral plexus injuries: opening a door. Exp. Neurol. 229,168-173
23..Chew D, Carlstedt T, Shortland, P (2011) A comparative histological analysis of two models of nerve root avulsion injury. Neuropathology and Applied Neurobiology. 2011 Oct;37(6):613-32.
24. Kachramanoglou C, Choi D, Carlstedt T et al. Self-Mutilation in Patients after Nerve Injury May Not Be Due To Deafferentation Pain: A Case Report" . Pain Med. 2011 Nov;12(11):1644-8
25.Carlstedt,T (2011) An overture to basic science aspects of nerve injuries. Journal of Hand Surgery.36E(9) 726-729
26.Carlstedt T, Misra P, Papadaki A, McRobbie D, Anand P (2012) The return of the spinal reflex after spinal cord surgery for brachial plexus avulsion injury. Case report. Journal of Neurosurgery 116,414-417.
27.A Shulga, A Magalhaes, H Autio, S Plantman, A Di Lieto, A Nykjaer, T Carlstedt, M Risling, U Arumäe, E Castren, C Rivera. (2012) The loop diuretic bumetanide blocks post-traumatic p75NTR upregulation and rescues injured neurons. Journal of Neuroscience. 32(5):1757-1770.
28. Carlstedt T.(2012) Needed- new nerve injury treatments. Public Service Review. UK Science and Technology 6,138-139
29.Carlstedt T and Havtorn L (2012)The longitudinal spinal cord injury. Lessons from intraspinal plexus,cauda equina and medullary conus lesions. In Handbook of Clinical Neurology.
30. . Kachramanoglou C,De Vita E.,Thomas D.L. Wheeler-Kingshott C.A.M., Balteau E., Carlstedt T.,Choi D., Thompson A.J., Ciccarelli O.(2012) Metabolic changes in the spinal cord after brachial plexus root reimplantation. Neurorehabilitation and Neural Repair. In Press.
31. Chew D.J., Murrell K., Carlstedt T., Shortland P.J. (2012) Segmental spinal root avulsion in the adult rat: a model study avulsion injury induced pain. J Neurotrauma. In Press.
The London Nerve Centre offers advice and treatment for conditions that affect the nerves.